An ideal holiday for someone with some Textiles experience, and who wants to develop their skills in fabric manipulation and embellishment…
This holiday is 7 nights/6 days long, with approximately 4.5 days in the Studio.
COST: £600 or
£550 each if you bring one friend, £450 each if you bring two…
The holiday will run on:
10th – 17th March 2018
16th – 22nd June 2018
If neither of these dates is convenient for you, please contact me at: “firstname.lastname@example.org”
This holiday assumes some knowledge of using a sewing machine.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- machined appliqué
- turned edge/ hand stitched appliqué
- raw edge free motion appliqué
- manipulated tucking
- free machine embroidery
- English quilting
YOU WILL MAKE:
- appliqué tea towel
- lined tote bag
- cushion cover
- embroidered framed picture
- small storage pouch
ITINERARY: If you wish to have more free time and less tuition/guided time, that is perfectly fine – the holiday can be adapted.
INTRODUCTION: This holiday focuses on creative textiles, and introduces three types of appliqué, couching, free machine embroidery, manipulated tucking and English quilting – all ways of embellishing fabrics and textile products and useful for a range of different projects.
ARRIVAL DAY: Arriving at Bordeaux Airport. We will meet the Saturday Ryanair flight from Stansted, arriving at 15:20 and the Easyjet Bristol flight arriving at 16:05.
DAY 1 – The day will begin with a trip to a French supermarket, where you can enjoy browsing and then buying some delicious French food. Afterwards, in the studio, I will introduce appliqué, and you will make a decorative tea towel.
DAY 2 – You will make a lined tote bag decorated with both hand and machine appliqué and possibly incorporating some couching. Part of the day will be unsupervised, but I will be on hand if you have any problems.
DAY 3 –We will look at manipulating fabric with tucking to create a textured surface and you will make a beautiful cushion cover.
DAY 4 – This will be a whole day off, with a visit to a nearby town such as Saintes, Angouleme or Cognac where you can explore a Cognac house, or the Abbaye aux Dames and wander around the streets of a typical French town. You could walk by the river, have lunch, just enjoy the atmosphere. If you prefer, you can relax, go for a walk, use the studio… It’s really your day.
DAY 5 – Free machine/free motion embroidery is completely different from other kinds of sewing – it’s like drawing with the needle. It’s great fun, and with good resources, beginners can produce effective results. You’ll learn to draw with the needle, and then move on to raw edge appliqué, producing a small framed picture.
DAY 6 – Your final day in the studio might start by finishing off the embroidered picture. The rest of the day focuses on English quilting and the different ways of creating texture and – you’ll make a small quilted storage pouch.
DAY 7 – Departure. You will be taken to Bordeaux airport for your flight back to the UK for the BRISTOL (Easyjet) flight leaving at 16:30, or the STANSTED (Ryanair) flight leaving at 15:45.
THE HOLIDAY: This is a Textiles holiday, where you have space to relax and enjoy yourself as well as spend time in the studio learning new skills. The location is wonderful for sitting quietly with a book ( I have a very good Textiles book library – you could try out a few new skills independently!) or a walk in countryside. You might, though, like to bring your own Textiles project to work on in the studio, in your spare time. It’s so lovely to have some time away from other distractions, to focus on something you enjoy. You could bring knitting, tapestry, another dressmaking project, or perhaps watercolours or pen and ink.
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- Transport to and from Bordeaux airport meeting the Stansted and Bristol afternoon flights – see below*. Please travel with one small suitcase and a (hand)bag only.
- Studio times – please see the detailed description for an explanation. The supervised studio times are usually 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 5pm, but some days may finish a little earlier. Obviously, you can have tea/coffee breaks when you wish! You’re very welcome to use the studio yourself out of these times.
- Days/ half days out – on certain holidays full or half day trips out are included – please see the ITINERARY above for a more detailed explanation. These are of course optional – you can stay “home” and relax or use the studio instead if you prefer.
- Some fabrics/threads etc will be provided, others you will need to bring with you – please email me for further information.
- Accommodation will be single occupancy of a double room with private/en-suite shower room/wc*. Please see the “Accommodation” tab for details, but we have two ground floor rooms ( Ouessant and Merino) and one first floor room (Rambouillet). If you take up the special offer and bring two friends, you will each have single occupancy of a double room but will share 2 shower rooms/toilets. (The 3rd room is our lovely large room “Jacob”).
- Meals – The holiday is self-catering – there is a large, open-plan kitchen/dining/sitting room and full cooking facilities. We will take you to the supermarket and/or local markets (depending on the availability) when you arrive/ at your convenience during your stay so you can enjoy buying exactly what you like.
- Numbers – We can accommodate 3 residential guests in single occupancy double rooms. However, if you are travelling with a friend or partner – participating or not – we can of course accommodate them too. Please contact me directly to discuss your requirements. Non-residential “students” may also join the group, but the max. numbers on this course is 6.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- Flights to and from the UK.
- Holiday insurance.
Please contact me for further information. “email@example.com”
REVIEWS: There are some reviews on this website, but there are more on my Facebook pages, here: