Spend a week in France and learn to sew! If you have always wanted to learn to sew, or have had unsatisfactory experiences in the past, come to France for a week and get to grips with the basics – learning to use a sewing machine and skills that will get you started with this very useful, highly enjoyable skill!
This holiday is 7 nights/6 days long, with approximately 4.5 days in the Studio.
COST: £600 or
£550 each if you bring one friend, £450 each if you bring two…
NEXT DATE: Sat 21st October to Sat 28th October.
The holiday will run on:
5th – 12th May 2018
5th – 12th October 2018
If neither of these dates is convenient for you, please contact me at: “firstname.lastname@example.org”
This holiday assumes no knowledge of – or experience in – using a sewing machine.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- to thread and use a domestic sewing machine
- about the different basic stitches and the tension
- how to sew straight and accurately
- how to prevent frayed edges
- the importance of pressing during manufacture
- the importance of accurate cutting
- stitching a seam and a hem
- couching with ribbon
- making and attaching a patch pocket
- using bias binding
- darts, pleats and gathers
- attaching a lining
- creating a strap/handle
- inserting a zip
- simple piping
- making a tassel
WHAT YOU WILL MAKE:
- a tea towel
- a tote bag
- an apron
- a lined shoulder bag
- a zipped make-up bag/pencil case
ITINERARY: If you wish to have more free time and less tuition/guided time, that is perfectly fine – the holiday can be adapted to your needs – it’s YOUR holiday…
Sewing can be so much fun and is a great way to relax and unwind – if you’re feeling stressed, sewing can soothe your mind… You focus on the task in hand and forget about what’s worrying you! It is, in fact, an excellent form of mindfulness… I genuinely love teaching the skills I know; I have a passion for it, and enjoy passing this on to others. So, if you want a holiday where you take home a new hobby instead of just a few photographs and souvenirs, this might be the holiday for you.
ARRIVAL DAY: Arriving at Bordeaux Airport. We will meet the Saturday Ryanair flight from Stansted, arriving at 15:20 and the Easyjet Bristol flight arriving at 16:05.
DAY 1 – The day will begin with a trip to a French supermarket, where you can enjoy browsing and then buying some delicious French food. Afterwards, in the studio, we’ll start with the basics – using a sewing machine, threading, stitching straight, understanding the settings and dials. You will make a tea towel using your new skills!
DAY 2 – Today you will make a tote bag, decorated with appliqué. This will further practice your cutting, sewing and pressing skills!
DAY 3 – You will make an apron decorated with strips of ribbon. The product includes a creating and attaching a lined patch pocket, and bias binding, turning a hem and securing ties. Depending on how quickly you work – it is hard to estimate – you might also make a fabric storage basket.
DAY 4 – This will be a whole day off, with a visit to a nearby town such as Saintes, Angouleme or Cognac where you can explore a Cognac house, or the Abbaye aux Dames and wander around the streets of a typical French town. You could walk by the river, have lunch, just enjoy the atmosphere. If you prefer, you can relax, go for a walk, use the studio… It’s really your day.
DAY 5 – Today you will make a lined shoulder bag and start to make a matching pencil case/ make-up bag. Skills involved include darts, gathers, pleats, attaching a yoke and creating a strap. Part of the day may beunsupervised, but I’ll be on hand if you need help – it is important you learn to work independently at this stage.
DAY 6 – This final day is a half day, or maybe a little longer depending on any difficulties you encounter with the project. You’ll be making a pencil case/ make-up bag, and tackling some very basic pattern drafting, just as an introduction to that topic. You’ll learn to do simple piping, make a tassel and insert a zip.
DAY 7 – Departure. You will be taken to Bordeaux airport for your flight back to the UK for the BRISTOL (Easyjet) flight leaving at 16:30, or the STANSTED (Ryanair) flight leaving at 15:45.
THE HOLIDAY: This is a Textiles holiday, where you have space to relax and enjoy yourself as well as spend time in the studio learning new skills. The location is wonderful for sitting quietly with a book ( I have a very good Textiles book library – you could try out a few new skills independently!) or a walk in countryside. You might, though, like to bring your own Textiles project to work on in the studio, in your spare time. It’s so lovely to have some time away from other distractions, to focus on something you enjoy. You could bring knitting, tapestry, another dressmaking project, or perhaps watercolours or pen and ink.
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- Transport to and from Bordeaux airport meeting the Stansted and Bristol afternoon flights – see below*. Please travel with one small suitcase and a (hand)bag only.
- Studio times – please see the detailed description for an explanation. The supervised studio times are usually 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 5pm, but some days may finish a little earlier. Obviously, you can have tea/coffee breaks when you wish! You’re very welcome to use the studio yourself out of these times.
- Days/ half days out – on certain holidays full or half day trips out are included – please see the ITINERARY above for a more detailed explanation. These are of course optional – you can stay “home” and relax or use the studio instead if you prefer.
- Some fabrics/threads etc will be provided, others you will need to bring with you – please email me for further information.
- will be single occupancy of a double room with private/en-suite shower room/wc*. Please see the “Accommodation” tab for details, but we have two ground floor rooms ( Ouessant and Merino) and one first floor room (Rambouillet). If you take up the special offer and bring two friends, you will each have single occupancy of a double room but will share 2 shower rooms/toilets. (The 3rd room is our lovely large room “Jacob”).
- Meals – The holiday is self-catering – there is a large, open-plan kitchen/dining/sitting room and full cooking facilities. We will take you to the supermarket and/or local markets (depending on the availability) when you arrive/ at your convenience during your stay so you can enjoy buying exactly what you like.
- Numbers – We can accommodate 3 residential guests in single occupancy double rooms. However, if you are travelling with a friend or partner – participating or not – we can of course accommodate them too. Please contact me directly to discuss your requirements. Non-residential “students” may also join the group, but the max. numbers on this course is 6.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- Flights to and from the UK.
- Holiday insurance.
Please contact me for further information. “email@example.com”
REVIEWS: There are some reviews on this website, but there are more on my Facebook pages, here: