This is a week long holiday, with 4 mornings in the studio and some slow, leisurely stitching to help you relax and unwind, away from your busy “normal” life.
This holiday is 7 nights/6 days long, with 4-5 mornings in the Studio.
COST: £500* or
£400 each if you bring one friend, £350 each if you bring two…
(£600* if you would like airport/train station transfers and a day or two out and about, exploring)
The holiday dates are flexible – it can run on dates convenient for you – please contact me to discuss. “firstname.lastname@example.org”
These holidays generally do NOT include airport transfers, and you will usually need to hire a car – or drive here in your own car – because we are situated in the countryside. However, see the point in brackets above.
This holiday includes some simple hand sewing and simple machine sewing – it assumes no knowledge of – or experience in – sewing at all…
I have always found sewing to be an excellent way of relaxing, but I didn’t actually realise this until I came to France! I’ve sewn all my life and it was when I was teaching full-time in the UK that – ironically – I stopped sewing for pleasure; there simply wasn’t time during term-time. For the first few years I was a new teacher and there was so much to learn myself… Then, when I worked in a busy boarding school, there were too many other things to fit into my life, that I had no time to sew for myself.
Here in France, I’ve learned again just how healing it can be… You can with off your mind from all the worries spinning round in your head, and just focus on the task in hand. If it’s something complicated, something demanding skill and concentration, there simply isn’t enough room in your head to remember your worries or your sadness! However, not everyone has these sorts of sewing skills, and even as a complete beginner, if you focus your mind on what you’re doing, on each stitch, you can find it to be relaxing and therapeutic. In fact, a couple of my regulars – who attend fortnightly workshops – have said to me how much they enjoy the fact that when they’re here in the studio sewing, they forget to work about their worries!
So, I’m devising – yes – it is still “work in progress” – a holiday which focusses on “Sewing for Mindfulness” and this is what I envisage:
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN – not necessarily all of these – it’s up to you:
- Sashiko stitching (hand-stitching. This originated in Japan and was traditionally used for mending clothes, which somehow seems, to me, to be very appropriate!)
- Kantha stitching (hand stitching, running stitch)
- Hand stitched patchwork (small-scale, “precious”)
- English quilting on a sewing machine, stitching very freely which, even for beginners, can be soothing!
WHAT YOU WILL MAKE:
- An eternity scarf
- A small storage pouch
ITINERARY: To be finalised, but the aim is to be in the studio from 10-1pm, and then you have the afternoon and evening free to sleep, read, relax, walk, cycle (we have bicycles), explore… and to continue sewing. Mindfully!
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- Studio times – please see the detailed description for an explanation. The supervised studio times are usually 10am – 1pm, but you are welcome to work in there at other times. Obviously, you can have tea/coffee breaks when you wish! You’re very welcome to use the studio yourself out of these times.
- Some fabrics/threads etc will be provided, others you will need to bring with you – please email me for further information.
- Accommodation will be single occupancy of a double room with private/en-suite shower room/wc*. Please see the “Accommodation” tab for details, but we have two ground floor rooms ( Ouessant and Merino) and one first floor room (Rambouillet). If you take up the special offer and bring two friends, you will each have single occupancy of a double room but will share 2 shower rooms/toilets. (The 3rd room is our lovely large room “Jacob”).
- Meals – The holiday is self-catering – there is a large, open-plan kitchen/dining/sitting room and full cooking facilities.
- Numbers – We can accommodate 3 residential guests in single occupancy double rooms. However, if you are travelling with a friend or partner – participating or not – we can of course accommodate them too. Please contact me directly to discuss your requirements. Non-residential “students” may also join the group, but the max. numbers on this course is 6.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- Flights to and from the UK and transfers to/from the accommodation.
- Holiday insurance.
Please contact me for further information: email@example.com
REVIEWS: There are some reviews on this website, but there are more on my Facebook pages, here: