If you want to learn the basics of patchwork while having a relaxing holiday, then this might give you the right balance…
This holiday is 7 nights/6 days long, with 3 days in the Studio.
COST: £500 or
£450 each if you bring one friend, £350 each if you bring two…
NEXT DATE: Sat 23rd September to Sat 30th September.
The holiday will also run on:
7th – 14th April 2018
8th – 15th September 2018
If neither of these dates is convenient for you, please contact me at: . “email@example.com”
These holidays – with 3 days sewing included – do NOT include airport transfers, nor do they include any day/half day trips out. You will need to hire a car – or drive here in your own car – because we are situated in the countryside.
This holiday assumes some knowledge of – or experience in – using a sewing machine. It is variation on the “Learn to Sew in France” holiday, with fewer Studio days, more time to relax and explore, but still the chance to learn new skills.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- about the different basic stitches and the tension
- to thread and use a domestic sewing machine
- how to sew straight and accurately
- how to prevent frayed edges
- the importance of pressing during manufacture
- the importance of accurate cutting
- stitching a seam
- simple patchwork using squares
- hand-stitching to close a gap
- simple patchwork using triangles
- quilt-as-you-go Log Cabin patchwork
WHAT YOU WILL MAKE:
- a patchwork pincushion
- a tea towel decorated with patchwork
- a log cabin patchwork doorstop
- a patchwork cushion cover
ITINERARY: You may need to be flexible when choosing which days to have as “Sewing Days” so I can plan my time.
SEWING DAY 1 – We’ll start with the basics – using a sewing machine, threading, stitching straight, understanding the settings and dials. You will make tea towel decorated with patchwork.
SEWING DAY 2 – You’ll start the day by making a pincushion using 8 squares of fabric. In the afternoon I’ll introduce Log Cabin patchwork, and you’ll make a door-stop (to be stuffed at home because of the weight!)SEWING DAY 3 – You will make a patchwork cushion cover using 4 different fabrics cut into triangles, which will further practice your cutting, sewing and pressing skills.
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- Studio times – please see the detailed description for an explanation. The supervised studio times are usually 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 5pm, but some days may finish a little earlier. Obviously, you can have tea/coffee breaks when you wish! You’re very welcome to use the studio yourself out of these times.
- Some fabrics/threads etc will be provided, others you will need to bring with you – please email me for further information.
- Accommodation will be single occupancy of a double room with private/en-suite shower room/wc*. Please see the “Accommodation” tab for details, but we have two ground floor rooms ( Ouessant and Merino) and one first floor room (Rambouillet). If you take up the special offer and bring two friends, you will each have single occupancy of a double room but will share 2 shower rooms/toilets. (The 3rd room is our lovely large room “Jacob”).
- Meals – The holiday is self-catering – there is a large, open-plan kitchen/dining/sitting room and full cooking facilities.
- Numbers – We can accommodate 3 residential guests in single occupancy double rooms. However, if you are travelling with a friend or partner – participating or not – we can of course accommodate them too. Please contact me directly to discuss your requirements. Non-residential “students” may also join the group, but the max. numbers on this course is 6.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
- Flights to and from the UK and transfers to/from the accommodation.
- Holiday insurance.
Please contact me for further information: firstname.lastname@example.org
REVIEWS: There are some reviews on this website, but there are more on my Facebook pages, here: