If you have some experience of using a sewing machine, you can make an heirloom Christening outfit, to pass on to future generations… Come on holiday to France and make a special outfit for your child, Grandchild or Godchild…
This holiday is 7 nights/6 days long, with 4.5 days in the Studio.
COST: £600 or
£550 each if you bring one friend, £450 each if you bring two…
The holiday will run on:
2nd – 9th June 2018
19th – 26th October 2018
If neither of these dates is convenient for you, please contact me at: “firstname.lastname@example.org”
This holiday assumes some knowledge of – or experience in – using a sewing machine and basic dressmaking skills. Please contact me to discuss.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN:
- to design a unique Christening outfit
- suitable ways of embellishing such an outfit
WHAT YOU WILL MAKE:
- a Christening gown, dress or romper suit
- possibly also one or two matching accessories
ITINERARY: There needs to be some flexibility with the plans for this holiday, because it’s hard to judge exactly how long it will take to make the outfit. Generally, we should be able to keep to the schedule below, but it depends on the complexity of your design…and your experience. If we fall behind with the manufacture, it might be that the day off becomes a half day off, instead.
INTRODUCTION: A Christening outfit made by a relative is something to treasure! If this is something you like the idea of doing, but don’t have the confidence to tackle it on our own, this holiday will give you a framework, guidance, and hopefully the confidence to create something beautiful, to be treasured and passed on to future generations. As with all the holidays I offer – you can adapt it to suit your needs.
ARRIVAL DAY: Arriving at Bordeaux Airport. We will meet the Saturday Ryanair flight from Stansted, arriving at 15:20 and the Easyjet Bristol flight arriving at 16:05.
DAY 1 – The day will begin with a trip to a French supermarket, where you can enjoy browsing and then buying some delicious French food. Afterwards, in the studio, we will look at different ways of embellishing an outfit. Depending on your experience this might be tucking, Italian quilting, embroidery.
DAY 2 – In the morning, you will cut out the gown/romper, including the lining. In the afternoon, you’ll start to embellish the outfit. Some of the day will be unsupervised studio time, but don’t worry, I’ll be on hand if you need help.
DAY 3 – Today you will finish the decorative work on your gown/romper and will start putting it together.
DAY 4 – Today is dedicated to making up your gown/romper.
DAY 5 – If you are on target with the outfit, this will be a whole day off, with a visit to a nearby town such as Saintes, Angouleme or Cognac. Or, a half day off with a visit to a smaller town such as Aubeterre. If you prefer, you can relax, go for a walk, use the studio.
DAY 6 – You will be able to complete your Christening gown, and hopefully make one or two matching accessories.
DAY 7 – Departure. You will be taken to Bordeaux airport for your flight back to the UK for the BRISTOL (Easyjet) flight leaving at 16:30, or the STANSTED (Ryanair) flight leaving at 15:45.
THE HOLIDAY: This is a Textiles holiday, where you have space to relax and enjoy yourself as well as spend time in the studio learning new skills. The location is wonderful for sitting quietly with a book ( I have a very good Textiles book library – you could try out a few new skills independently!) or a walk in countryside. You might, though, like to bring your own Textiles project to work on in the studio, in your spare time. It’s so lovely to have some time away from other distractions, to focus on something you enjoy. You could bring knitting, tapestry, another dressmaking project, or perhaps watercolours or pen and ink.
WHAT IS INCLUDED:
- Transport to and from Bordeaux airport meeting the Stansted and Bristol afternoon flights – see below*. Please travel with one small suitcase and a (hand)bag only.
- Studio times – please see the detailed description for an explanation. The supervised studio times are usually 10am – 1pm and 2pm – 5pm, but some days may finish a little earlier. Obviously, you can have tea/coffee breaks when you wish! You’re very welcome to use the studio yourself out of these times.
- Days/ half days out – on certain holidays full or half day trips out are included – please see the ITINERARY above for a more detailed explanation. These are of course optional – you can stay “home” and relax or use the studio instead if you prefer.
- Some fabrics/threads etc for sampling will be provided, others you will need to bring with you – please email me for further information.
- Accommodation will be single occupancy of a double room with private/en-suite shower room/wc*. Please see the “Accommodation” tab for details, but we have two ground floor rooms ( Ouessant and Merino) and one first floor room (Rambouillet). If you take up the special offer and bring two friends, you will each have single occupancy of a double room but will share 2 shower rooms/toilets. (The 3rd room is our lovely large room “Jacob”).
- Meals – The holiday is self-catering – there is a large, open-plan kitchen/dining/sitting room and full cooking facilities. We will take you to the supermarket and/or local markets (depending on the availability) when you arrive/ at your convenience during your stay so you can enjoy buying exactly what you like.
- Numbers – We can accommodate 3 residential guests in single occupancy double rooms. However, if you are travelling with a friend or partner – participating or not – we can of course accommodate them too. Please contact me directly to discuss your requirements. Non-residential “students” may also join the group, but the max. numbers on this course is 6.
WHAT IS NOT INCLUDED:
Flights to and from the UK.
Please contact me for further information. email@example.com
REVIEWS: There are some reviews on this website, but there are more on my Facebook pages, here: